[Humanist] 24.407 events: history; textual editing; translation

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 14 18:38:37 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Ventsislav_Zhechev <contact at ventsislavzhechev.eu>         (43)
        Subject: CfParticipation: Workshop "Bringing MT to the User: Research
                onIntegrating MT in the Translation Industry"

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (23)
        Subject: 'World History and Digital Scholarship' Conference,
                University ofCambridge

  [3]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (56)
        Subject: CFP: Digital Poster Session (SHARP July 2011)

        Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:10:50 +0100
        From: Ventsislav_Zhechev <contact at ventsislavzhechev.eu>
        Subject: CfParticipation: Workshop "Bringing MT to the User: Research onIntegrating MT in the Translation Industry"

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

"Bringing MT to the User: Research on Integrating MT in the Translation Industry"
Second Joint EM+/CNGL Workshop (JEC 2010)

http://web.me.com/emcnglworkshop/JEC2010

At the AMTA 2010 conference (http://amta2010.amtaweb.org), the EuroMatrix+ Project (http://www.euromatrixplus.eu) and the Centre for Next Generation Localisation (http://cngl.ie) are organising the Second Joint EM+/CNGL Workshop, titled "Bringing MT to the User: Research on Integrating MT in the Translation Industry". The workshop will take place in Denver, Colorado on 4 November 2010, immediately after the main AMTA 2010 conference.

Premise:
Recent years have seen a revolution in MT triggered by the emergence of statistical approaches to MT and improvements in translation quality. MT (rule-based, statistical and hybrid) is now available for many languages for free on the Web and is making strong inroads into the corporate localisation and translation industries. Open-source MT solutions are competing with proprietary products. Increasing numbers of translators are post-editing TM/MT output. At the same time, there has been some disconnect between academic research on MT, which (rightly so) focuses on algorithms to increase translation quality, and many of the practical issues that need to be addressed to make MT maximally useful in real translation and localisation scenarios.

Objectives:
This workshop will bring together MT researchers, developers, industrial users and translators to discuss issues that are most important in real world industrial settings involving MT, but currently not very popular in research circles.

Workshop Chairs:
Ventsislav Zhechev
Philipp Koehn
Josef van Genabith

Invited Speakers:
Daniel Marcu, Ph.D. (CTO and COO of SDL Language Weaver)
Will Burgett, PMP® (Product Manager, Intel Corporation)
For more information, go to http://web.me.com/emcnglworkshop/JEC2010/Invited_Speakers.html

Research Papers Accepted for Presentation:
• Shared Resources, Shared Values? Ethical Implications of Sharing Translation Resources (Jo Drugan and Bogdan Babych)
• Integrating Machine Translation with Translation Memory: A Practical Approach (Panagiotis Kanavos and Dimitrios Kartsaklis)
• Convergence of Translation Memory and Statistical Machine Translation (Philipp Koehn and Jean Senellart)
• Estimating Machine Translation Post-Editing Effort with HTER (Lucia Specia and Atefeh Farzindar)
• Source Text Characteristics and Technical and Temporal Post-Editing Effort: What is Their Relationship? (Midori Tatsumi and Johann Roturier)
• Machine Translation of TV Subtitles for Large Scale Production (Martin Volk, Rico Sennrich, Christian Hardmeier and Frida Tidström)

Program Committee:
The submitted papers were reviewed by a mixed industry–academia committee.
Industry members: Manuel Tomás Carrasco Benítez (DGT of the EC), Marc Dymetman (XRCE), Daniel Grasmick (Lucy Software), Fred Hollowood (Symantec), Johann Roturier (Symantec), Dag Schmidtke (Microsoft), Jean Senellart (Systran), Nicolas Stroppa (Google)
Academic members: Julien Bourdaillet (University of Montreal), Michael Carl (CBS, Denmark), Mikel Forcada (Universitat d’Alacant), Josef van Genabith (CNGL, EM+), Eiichiro Sumita (NICT, Japan), Philipp Koehn (EM+), Harold Somers (CNGL), Ventsislav Zhechev (EM+, CNGL)

The workshop program is available at http://web.me.com/emcnglworkshop/JEC2010/Program.html

Registration Deadline: 18 October 2010 (http://permatime.com/Pacific/Samoa/2010-10-18/16:59)

Please, direct all enquiries to Dr. Ventsislav Zhechev at emcnglworkshop at me.com
For up-to-date information, please visit http://web.me.com/emcnglworkshop/JEC2010