[Humanist] 24.402 an ideal PhD programme?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Oct 11 21:42:14 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 06:28:42 +1100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: more envisioning

Some time ago I asked for ideas about the ideal department of digital
humanities. Let me ask now a related question: what (national
constraints aside) would an ideal PhD programme in the digital
humanities look like? How many years would it run? Would it have an
initial year of coursework (as in N America) or be purely a research
degree (as in the UK)? What would the courses be, if there were
coursework? What sort of examination would it have, if any, after an
initial period, to make sure candidates were not too deeply into trouble
to finish? How would the variety of digital humanities research be
reflected in the name and nature of the degree? What should the designer
of a programme aim for, i.e. what sort of work afterward?

All ideas welcome.