[Humanist] 24.396 a million old books

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Oct 10 21:49:45 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:07:22 -0400
        From: Michael Zurat <mzurat at gmail.com>
        Subject: ProQuest to Place all European Books from 1475- 1700 online

Dear Humanist List,

Its been a number of years since I have submitted something to the list.
A colleague of mine posted this on his Facebook profile and I thought it worth sharing as this was the first I have heard of this.

October 09, 2010

ProQuest to Place All European Books from 1475 to 1700 Online

Buried deep inside an article about a different topic is a reference to digitizing old books and placing them online. Dan Burnstone, from ProQuest, states that his company has launched a project that aims to get all early European books printed between 1475 and 1700 online.

"We don't know how many books we are ultimately dealing with, but we think it's something like one million," said Burnstone. "Our plan is to digitise the holdings of several European libraries over several years."

Read more here:
http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2010/10/proquest-to-place-all-european-books-from-1475-and-1700-online.html

I would be interested to hear if any of you are working with ProQuest on this and your thoughts on the matter.

Best regards,

Michael Zurat