[Humanist] 24.379 iPad apps by/for us

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Oct 3 22:29:46 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>                     (55)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.375 iPad apps for us; Goodreader

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (43)
        Subject: platforms and contents

        Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 10:48:28 -0400
        From: Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>

Timothy,

> > My original point was that if a target audience uses the iPad and/or the
> > iPad offers capabilities that your application requires, or both, then
> > develop for the iPad. Neither one of those are "ethical" questions.
>
> Ah, but it's not that simple, is it - because the 'target audience' is
> to an extent determined by the applications developed for the iPad.

Actually it is. But for the confusion between applications and the
content for applications.

Content for an application, even for the iPad, can certainly be written
in a standard, interchangeable format.

I would be surprised if anyone repeated the mistake that MS made in
tying the code for MS Office to the format it purchased from PARC
XEROX.

There are two advantages to content being independent of the application
code that will process it:

1) Developers can improve code for an application without fear of
breaking with the content format.

2) Content can be delivered to any platform (open or otherwise) for
which an application has been developed.

> Tech companies have long realised that users are interested foremost
> in content, and not in platform: that, in other words, the best way to
> create platform lock-in is to ensure that desirable content is
> accessible only on your particular platform. The most successful
> attempt at this kind of platform-monopoly-through-content-control is
> Microsoft's domination of the world through its business/office
> applications; the most obnoxious was probably the Browser Wars, which
> saw every company implementing HTML in some slightly different way in
> the hopes that *its* implementation would become the default on the
> www.

Ultimately a self-defeating process. The more incompatible formats, with
the tying of those formats to applications, the greater the internal
cost in terms of maintenance and development.

Independent of format from code creates advantages for both consumers as
well as producers.

<snip>

> But this doesn't mean that we, as developers and humanists, have to
> play into the hands of this strategy. We can (and generally do) favour
> open standards and platforms; should consider all platform options
> that are on the table (as an aside, I'm puzzled by the repeated ease
> with which Android drops out of this conversation); and ought to
> consider the extent to which commitment to a proprietary platform is
> simply storing up a rod for our own backs in the future.

Whether a platform is "open" or not isn't the issue. The issue is
whether your application consumes content written in an interchangeable
format. Assuming that to be the case, I don't see the problem.

BTW, you mention Android in a later post in this thread. I don't recall
it "dropping" from the conversation but what is it that you want to say
about it?

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Patrick