[Humanist] 24.531 Happy birthday BMCR!

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 29 11:12:39 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:44:51 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: BMCR's 20th Anniversary

[Happy Birthday, though somewhat delayed, to BMCR, now into its 21st year!
The Editor, Jim O'Donnell, informs me that the way the date of original sending
was confirmed was by going into the Humanist logs and finding the copy of
the original notice that he posted there, as given in the following. It seemed
to me at the time that Jim and colleagues had seen right away how the genius
of the Web could be deployed to augment scholarly communication by
improving upon a mechanism -- publication of book reviews -- that had
for decades been poorly served by print. As he says in the announcement,
they saw that the lasting opportunity at hand comes from settling relations
between the two media rather than attempting to replace one by the other.
A model for us all.

Congratulations to BMCR.

WM]

> From: *Bryn Mawr Classical Review* <bmcreview at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 9:26 AM
> Subject: BMCR 2010.11.51: BMCR's 20th Anniversary

Bryn Mawr Classical Review
 http://brynmawr.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c302ee634698194cc76ef8a8b&id=7fca8533d9&e=f07166362c

Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2010.11.51

       /BMCR's 20th Anniversary/.

*Editor James J. O'Donnell*

The first issue of /Bryn Mawr Classical Review/ was released for
internet distribution twenty years ago today. We thank our many
colleagues who have joined in the editorial process, our very many
colleagues who have reviewed for us, and our many, many readers and
friends over the years. There were only a handful of "e-journals" back
then, and the only journal in the humanities that is senior to us by a
few weeks is /Postmodern Culture/. We are one of the oldest (if not
indeed the very oldest) e-journals to offer complete "open access" (in
the jargon that has evolved since), that is, we have made every word of
our publication freely available over the net from the first day. We are
particularly grateful to another (overlapping!) set of colleagues and
friends who have helped produce and make use of our textbook series,
Bryn Mawr Commentaries, on whose revenues BMCR depends for its free
distribution. (When you assign a Bryn Mawr Commentary
 http://brynmawr.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c302ee634698194cc76ef8a8b&id=e4ea7f946f&e=f07166362c ,
in other words, you support BMCR.)

If you lift a glass in our honor on this anniversary, savor as you do
the irony that this grave and senior pioneer of electronic publishing is
devoted to chronicling and assessing the publication of the printed
book. We do not prophesy the future, when e-books and p-books settle
their relations with one another. But we persist.

James J. O'Donnell
Richard Hamilton
Camilla MacKay
Rolando Ferri

> Date: 28 Nov 90 21:54:35 EST
> From: James O'Donnell [JODONNEL at PENNSAS]
> Subject: new classics review (e-)journal

Bryn Mawr Classical Review

A new review journal has begun publication. Hard copy subscriptions are available, but this notice announces that subscriptions to e-mail distribution is also invited. Details of access at the end of this message.

*Bryn Mawr Classical Review* will survey new books in `classics' (Greek and Latin literature, Greek and Roman history, broadly construed), offering concise and informative reviews within 6-12 months of publication. Our editorial policy is to have as little editorial policy as possible. Boundaries are kept loose (though on the whole, strictly archaeological publications are excluded). Over the course of the first year, we expect to assemble a board of regular contributors representing as many competences and approaches as possible: their jobs will be to review regularly and to scout new titles wherever they can be found. The founding editors are Richard Hamilton of Bryn Mawr College and James J. O'Donnell of the University of Pennsylvania.

A particular effort will be made to report on new books published in languages other than English. In addition to the concise reviews that are our mainstay, there will be other features: *Seen Elsewhere* (newsworthy items related to the profession), *Definite Articles* (notices of recent scholarly articles that one or another of the members of the board thinks deserve special attention: again, emphasis where possible on European publications), multiple reviews of a single title (to show different points of view), occasional reviews of older books revisited in a fresh context, even occasional essay reviews. Letters to the editor are gladly welcomed and will be published, as well as interesting and timely opinion columns. The only material excluded *a priori* will be items that could be characterized as `notes' or `articles': our view is that there are sufficient outlets for that kind of publication, but that the need we hope to fill (if not actually create) is for timely discussion of new publications and for discussion generally.

The Review will appear five times a year. The hard copy subscription rate will be kept as low as possible; the mechanics of publication are identical to those of Bryn Mawr Commentaries (which will subsidize the first year's publication) and the pricing policy there may be taken as a reasonable guide to our capacity for maintaining reasonable prices here. For the first year, one copy is being sent free to every North American Classics department known to us (others will be added to the list if they so request).

Review copies may be sent to our editorial address and are gladly received. We also welcome notice of forthcoming publications and advice generally. Materials should be sent in the most computer- ready form possible. Our first preference is to receive reviews and correspondence by bitnet at BMCR at BRYNMAWR or (from internet) BMCR at CC.BRYNMAWR.EDU; second preference is to receive Macintosh disks prepared in Microsoft Word (SMK Greekkeys is the default method of receiving and printing Greek); IBM disks may also be sent, and traditional hard copy will also be accepted.

Hard copy subscriptions are available for $10 per year: write to

Bryn Mawr Classical Review, Thomas Library, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, Pa. 19010.