[Humanist] 24.505 announcements: 4Humanities; EU Holocaust Research

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Nov 20 09:12:50 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Alan Liu <ayliu at english.ucsb.edu>                         (84)
        Subject: Launch of 4Humanities initiative (advocating the humanities,
                poweredby digital humanists)

  [2]   From:    "Ashton, Anna" <anna.ashton at kcl.ac.uk>                    (23)
        Subject: Major EU Holocaust Research project

        Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 03:16:16 -0800
        From: Alan Liu <ayliu at english.ucsb.edu>
        Subject: Launch of 4Humanities initiative (advocating the humanities, poweredby digital humanists)

As a response to the threads on Humanist in October on "industrialisation of the digital humanities" (http://lists.digitalhumanities.org/pipermail/humanist/2010-October/001644.html)
and "digital humanities and the cuts" (http://lists.digitalhumanities.org/pipermail/humanist/2010-October/001649.html),
an international collective of digital humanists that I am coordinating has
started an initiative and Web site called "4Humanities: Advocating for the
Humanities" (http://humanistica.ualberta.ca/).

The premise is explained in our mission statement (appended below).  The
gist is that the humanities now need public advocacy, and the digital
humanities have special resources and expertise to assist such advocacy in
the age of networked communication.

We are calling for participants and assistance from the digital humanities
community.  Some of the help we need most immediately is as follows:

(1) Before we become more pubic (i.e., recruiting talent and time from the
general humanities community, itself a prelude to recruiting advocacy from
people in the sciences, business, government, film industry, etc.), we need
to build up more resources under the "Digital Resources for Advocacy" part
of the site,  (Lisa Spiro, for instance, will be helping by harvesting from
her DIRT wiki:
https://digitalresearchtools.pbworks.com/w/page/17801672/FrontPage)

(2) We are especially keen to begin collecting posts, images, podcasts,
etc., in the currently empty category of "Students for the
Humanities"--i.e., student voices.

(3) We'd really like to recruit some creative multimedia people to begin
producing a video "advertisement for the humanities"--so that we don't stay
only in the realm of essay-like advocacy statements.

Please write to me if you would be interested in helping.  Please also help
put out the word about 4Humanities.

--Yours,  Alan Liu,

on behalf of the 4Humanities founding collective (members so far in the
U.S., Canada, and U.K.): Edward Ayers, Cathy N. Davidson, Patrick Durusau, David Theo Goldberg, Tim Hitchcock, Lorna Hughes, Alan Liu, Andrew Prescott, Stephen Ramsay, Geoffrey Rockwell, Lisa Spiro, Melissa Terras, and William G. Thomas, III.

(Note: Currently, 4Humanities lists among its affiliate organizations and
initiatives HASTAC  http://www.hastac.org/ .  We hope to grow our affiliate
network.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[4Humanities Mission Statement (http://humanistica.ualberta.ca/mission/)]:

4Humanities is a site created by the international community of digital
humanities scholars and educators to assist in advocacy for the humanities.
Government and private support for the humanities for research, teaching,
preservation, and creative renewal in such fields as literature, history,
languages, philosophy, classics, art history, cultural studies, libraries,
and so on are in decline.  In some nations, especially since the economic
recession that started in 2007, the decline has resulted in major cuts
in government and university funding.  Leaders of society and business
stake all the future on innovative and entrepreneurial discoveries in
science, engineering, biomedicine, green technology, and so on.  But the
humanities contribute the needed perspective, training in complex human
phenomena, and communication skills need to spark, understand, and make
human the new discoveries.  In the process, they themselves discover new,
and also very old, ways to be human.  They do so through their unique
contribution of the wisdom of the past, awareness of other cultures in
the present, and imagination of innovative and fair futures.  Many people
care about the humanities, not just in the educational and cultural
institutions directly affected by the recent cutbacks, but also in
business, government, science, media, politics, the professions, and the
general public.  They believe that society will be poorer, not richer,
without the humanities to help us grasp, and evolve, what it means to be
human and humane in today’s complex world.

4Humanities is both a platform and a resource for humanities advocacy.   As
a platform, 4Humanities stages the efforts of humanities advocates to reach
out to the public.  We are a combination newspaper, magazine, channel, blog,
wiki, and social network.  We solicit well-reasoned or creative
demonstrations, examples, testimonials, arguments, opinion pieces, open
letters, press releases, print posters, video advertisements, write-in
campaigns, social-media campaigns, short films, and other innovative forms
of humanities advocacy, along with accessibly-written scholarly works
grounding the whole in research or reflection about the state of the
humanities.

As a resource, 4Humanities provides humanities advocates with a stockpile of
digital tools, collaboration methods, royalty-free designs and images, best
practices, new-media expertise, and customizable newsfeeds of issues and
events relevant to the state of the humanities in any local or national
context.  Whether humanities advocates choose to conduct their publicity on
4Humanities itself or instead through their own newsletter, Web site, blog,
and so on, we want to help with the best that digital-humanities experts
have to offer.

4Humanities began because the digital humanities community which specializes
in making creative use of digital technology to advance humanities research
and teaching as well as to think about the basic nature of the new media and
technologies woke up to its special potential and responsibility to assist
humanities advocacy.  The digital humanities are increasingly integrated in
the humanities at large.  They catch the eye of administrators and funding
agencies who otherwise dismiss the humanities as yesterday’s news.  They
connect across disciplines with science and engineering fields.  They have
the potential to use new technologies to help the humanities communicate
with, and adapt to, contemporary society.