[Humanist] 24.503 biology

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Nov 20 09:03:04 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:24:11 -0600
        From: sramsay.unl at gmail.com
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.499 biology?

Hi Willard,

On 18 November 2010 at 6:31, Humanist Discussion Group <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>wrote:
> I am looking for recommendations of the best essay on biology you have
> ever encountered -- as we say in this country, a desert-island discs
> sort.

"What the Frog's Eye Tells the Frog's Brain," by Lettvin, Maturana, McCulloch, and Pitts would be up there.  It's not explicitly about computation, but is frequently cited in the AI literature.

It's in *Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers* 47, 1952.

Steve

--
Stephen Ramsay
Associate Professor