[Humanist] 24.500 biology

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 19 07:26:45 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Timothy Hill <timothy.d.hill at gmail.com>                   (39)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.499 biology?

  [2]   From:    Diane Harley <dianeh at berkeley.edu>                        (72)

  [3]   From:    "Dino Buzzetti" <buzzetti at philo.unibo.it>                 (20)

        Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:20:46 +0000
        From: Timothy Hill <timothy.d.hill at gmail.com>

Not an essay, and not about computing - but I have found Walter K. Dodds'
Laws, Theories, and Patterns in Ecology (2009) immensely instructive. Its
attempt to formalise the epistemology of a field - and to discuss the limits
of formalisation - that has often resisted ready definition and/or reduction
along the lines of other sciences should be of interest to anyone reflecting
upon the nature and value of the humanities.

And of course the ecology is interesting and valuable in its own right.

Timothy Hill
Centre for Computing in the Humanities