[Humanist] 24.497 on collaboration

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 18 07:20:28 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 19:28:33 +0100
        From: Øyvind Eide <oyvind.eide at iln.uio.no>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.489 on collaboration

>        Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 06:37:52 +0000
>        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
>        Subject: on collaboration
>
> Does this taxonomy of collaboration suit us? What seems to be missing
> here is (4) the need of a purely methodological discipline for
> problems
> to which its methods can be applied. But, then, does the digital
> humanities exist only in collaboration? Is it a condition sine qua
> non?
> If it is, then how possibly can we be critical of it? Are we in the
> position
> of those during WWII who had to collaborate in order to eat?

To answer but one of your questions: it is possible to work in the
digital humanities and take part in no more collaboration than a
traditional humanities scholar does? I currently work in the digital
humanities as a more or less lone scholar.

It demands, however, that the lone scholar is both digital and human,
so to say.

Kind regards,

Øyvind Eide
Unit for Digital Documentation, University of Oslo