[Humanist] 24.494 numination of the ACH

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Nov 16 07:59:47 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 06:57:43 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: numination of the ACH

According to the OED the word "numination" -- my typo for the intended
"nomination" of candidates for positions on the ACH Executive Council in
Humanist 24.492 -- does not exist, though it is attested 777 times in
Google's version of the Internet as of this moment. If it did exist with
the OED's blessing it would have to mean, "the creation of a divine
being" (as in "numinous", fr. L. numen, -is, for which see R. Otto, Das
Heilige). I hope you will join me in wishing that no one makes the
attempt, and especially that none succeeds!

Apologies. Once made in a subject-line to Humanist such errors
apparently cannot be corrected.