[Humanist] 24.487 bookish humour

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Nov 14 10:17:16 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Laval Hunsucker <amoinsde at yahoo.com>                      (41)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.485 humanities: what for? where?

  [2]   From:    Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>                        (48)

        Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 04:08:42 -0800 (PST)
        From: Laval Hunsucker <amoinsde at yahoo.com>

Just two short reactions, in the same spirit.

Alan D. Corre related :
> A young man and a young woman are chatting desultorily
> at a cocktail party: He: I just wrote a book. She: What a
> coincidence! I just read one.

And then of course there's this, from _The New Yorker_
( http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2008/06/02/080602ta_talk_marx
-- though I believe the joke is considerably older than this ) :

<<He [ Michael Seidenberg  ] was very pleased, and it moved him to relate a
story from the dark period, not too long ago, when he was selling books on the
street. "Once, a couple stopped," he recalled. "And the man asked his
girlfriend, 'Do you want a book?' She said, 'No, I already have a book.'">>

Alan D. Corre related, as well :
> One man asks another, *Read any good books lately?*  The
> other replies, *Wrote one.*

Sounds something like the popular perception of the just-
deceased Harry Mulisch, the last of the so-called greatest
three post-World-War-II Dutch writers, and author of the
monumental novel _De ontdekking van de hemel_.

Just after his death, there appeared a cartoon on the front
page of one of the national dailies here. There he is, standing
on a cloud in his typical stylish tailored suit, his hands in his
pockets, next to God, and suryeying his new surroundings.
His assessment ?  ( I translate the text-balloon : )  "In my
opinion, the book is better."

- Laval Hunsucker
  Den Haag ( Holland ), Nederland