[Humanist] 24.485 humanities: what for? where?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Nov 13 10:57:47 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 06:42:39 -0600 (CST)
        From: Alan Corre <corre at uwm.edu>
        Subject: [Humanist] 24.479 humanities: what for? where?

Jascha Kessler recalls a cartoon, if I mistake not, from the sadly defunct English weekly "Punch": ...a cartoon I saw in 1954, English, showing the usual nondescripts at a cocktail party. One man asks another, *Read any good books lately?*  The other replies, *Wrote one.*

I remember it differently and less politically correct, since the point seems to be an observation of the difference between the sexes:

A young man and a young woman are chatting desultorily at a cocktail party:
He: I just wrote a book.
She: What a coincidence! I just read one.

Or were there two cartoons? Maybe the all-knowing WWW can enlighten us.

Alan D. Corre