[Humanist] 24.482 accouncements: 18thConnect & Gale; Sakai 3

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 11 07:37:37 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Mandell, Laura C. Dr." <mandellc at muohio.edu>              (8)
        Subject: 18thConnect and Gale-Cengage Learning

  [2]   From:    Jennifer Vinopal <vinopal at nyu.edu>                         (6)
        Subject: NYU launches pre-release pilot of Sakai 3

        Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 08:09:56 -0500
        From: "Mandell, Laura C. Dr." <mandellc at muohio.edu>

[For the attachment mentioned below,
see http://www.18thconnect.org/news/.]

Dear Humanist List:

Attached is an announcement about 18thConnect.org: we have received NEH-funded supercomputer time, and the Mellon foundation has given a small grant to Miami University for developing crowd-sourced correction tools.  Both of these things will help 18thConnect improve the searchable text running behind 182,000 texts of page images available in Eighteenth-Century Collections Online, owned by Gale-Cengage Learning.  Gale and the Text Creation Partnership at the University of Michigan have been supporting our attempt to develop an 18th-century-specific OCR program by training Gamera to read Baskerville and Caslon fonts.  Our goal is twofold: to improve the archive for the future (independently of who owns what, this needs to happen); and to get access for scholars whose institutions cannot afford to subscribe to ECCO.  The boon is that 18thConnect can give texts to scholars who correct them, whether or not their institutions subscribe to ECCO.  We can give them plain text as well as text encoded in TEI-A, which will give them a leg-up in creating digital editions.

We have heard of groups in Germany working on similar initiatives, of course with different challenges: we hope to contact them, benefit from their expertise, and share the tools that we develop; everything we develop is open-source.  (The 182,000 texts of page images themselves are of course owned by Gale and something that 18thConnect cannot distribute.) Please help us make contact if you can.

Attached is a press release from Gale about the initiative.  It seems to me a breakthrough in establishing relationships between portals that are proprietary (Gale) and freely available (18thConnect, TCP).

Sincerely,
Laura Mandell