[Humanist] 24.479 humanities: what for? where?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 11 07:33:57 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    D.Allington <d.allington at open.ac.uk>                      (28)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 24.476 job at Ryerson: jobs and disciplines

  [2]   From:    Gregory Crane <gregory.crane at tufts.edu>                  (123)
        Subject: Responding to "the cuts,' Rethinking the Humanities and
                advancing civilization in a violent world

  [3]   From:    renata lemos <renata.lemoz at gmail.com>                     (28)
        Subject: Saving the humanities?

        Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 13:55:04 +0000
        From: D.Allington <d.allington at open.ac.uk>

        Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:15:15 -0400
        From: Ryan Deschamps <ryan.deschamps at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.474 job at Ryerson: jobs and disciplines

   Since I do not work with faculty (of any sort), I've been kind of quiet
   on the issue, but now that I've read this I feel bold enough to add my 2
   cents.
   I am sure there is a lecture awaiting me about the 'harsh reality' of
   faculty interests, labor markets and the job hunt.   I would suggest
   this is rather a 'harsh facade' - especially in an age where much of the
   knowledge of our society has become more accessible than it ever has.
   Society's knowledge is not only more accessible, but the context of that
   knowledge is dynamic.   With the rise of databases and
   personal/collaborative taxonomies, we can in fact create our own
   'disciplines' in the blink of an eye

I don't want to give lectures, but what may have been lost in the above are the distinctions between disciplines and departments and between knowledge and academia. One may be able to create a discipline in the blink of an eye (though that depends on what is meant by a 'discipline'), but where I work, even creating a new module takes several years (much of which will be spent wrangling with committees). And even if knowledge is more accessible than ever, academic appointments for newly qualified PhDs are certainly harder to come by now than they used to be, even just a few years ago. So without wishing to appear too cynical, my experience of joining faculty has taught me that behind the harsh facade, there's a far harsher reality.

None of this, though, is to deny the incredible dynamism of knowledge in our connected world, which Ryan is right to enthuse about. Perhaps it is simply that the pursuit of knowledge has become increasingly alien to the business of higher education - even though many of the individuals employed in (and most of those trying to enter) the latter business are still committed to the former pursuit.

All best wishes

Daniel

Dr Daniel Allington
Lecturer in English Language Studies and Applied Linguistics
Centre for Language and Communication
The Open University
01908 332 914
http://open.academia.edu/DanielAllington