[Humanist] 24.475 new publication: on complexity

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 8 08:48:45 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 07:45:49 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: complexity

Another new publication:

Melanie Mitchell, Complexity: A Guided Tour (Oxford 2009).

Excellent, I think, in level of difficulty and clarity of exposition,
broad enough in scope to give the beginner to the subject an idea of the
subject areas on which the sciences of complexity impinge. (Mitchell
insists that we speak of the sciences, plural, and that even so
qualified the scientific nature of the study of complexity is a matter
for debate.) The chapter likely to be closest to people here, on
computation, is excellent in kind.

A good review, in the Journal of Artificial Societies and Social
Simulation 13.4, October 2010, by John Bragin, may be found at
http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/13/2/reviews/3.html.

Did I find out about this book on Humanist? If so, many, many thanks
to whomever recommended it.