[Humanist] 24.462 DH & CS at Tufts

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 4 08:06:03 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 13:59:25 -0400
        From: Gregory Crane <gregory.crane at tufts.edu>
        Subject: Digital Humanities and Computer Science at Tufts

*** Attachments:
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1288807172_2010-11-03_humanist-owner@lists.digitalhumanities.org_5538.2.doc

Digital Humanities in the Computer Science Department at Tufts University

PLEASE CIRCULATE

Computer Science has played a critical role in many areas of inquiry,
but nowhere are the potential implications greater than in the
Humanities. We are transforming the ways in which we can relate to the
past and understand the relationship of that past to the world in which
we live. We need a new generation of researchers who can develop new
methods from the computational sciences to advance the intellectual life
of humanity.

The presence of the Perseus Project (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu) at
Tufts since 1992 has allowed Tufts play a significant role in the
emerging field of Digital Humanities. The Tufts Department of Computer
Science (http://www.cs.tufts.edu/) now provides unique opportunities for
emerging researchers with an interest in the Digital Humanities to
develop those interests within the department of Computer Science,
combining rigorous course work with opportunities to develop projects
relevant to various areas within the humanities. Tufts can support a
wide range of backgrounds and career goals.

Undergraduates at Tufts and elsewhere with an interest in Digital
Humanities are encouraged to combine either a major or a minor in
Computer Science with another area of the Humanities. Such a combination
will provide a foundation for undergraduate research projects of
tangible value.

Students who have a strong humanities background and wish to develop a
rigorous foundation in Computer Science for subsequent Digital
Humanities work are encouraged to consider the Post-Baccalaureate Minor
Program in Computer Science
(http://www.cs.tufts.edu/academics/cs_minor_grad). The Post-Bac CS Minor
will enable students either to pursue subsequent graduate work in
Computer Science or lay the foundations for Digital Humanities research
within a graduate program in the humanities.

More advanced students may consider the Master's Program in Computer
Science. This can either lead to a Phd program in Computer Science or an
area within the Humanities but it can also prepare students for work
developing the digital infrastructures within libraries, cultural
institutions, and major media.

The Tufts Phd Program in Computer Science provides a framework in which
students with a strong background in some area of the Humanities can
develop research and teaching agendas that bridge the gap between
Computer Science and areas within the Humanities. A Phd in Computer
Science at Tufts can give you a unique position in revolutionizing the
intellectual life of humanity. More information will become available
with an update on http://www.cs.tufts.edu.For more information, students
can contact digitalhumanities at cs.tufts.edu
<mailto:digitalhumanities at cs.tufts.edu>.