[Humanist] 24.459 events: visualization; evo-music & art; society

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 3 09:49:52 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Juan Romero <evomusart at gmail.com>                        (184)
        Subject: CFP evomusart 2011. Evolutionary and Biologically Inspired
                Music,Sound, Art and Design

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (32)
        Subject: Technology Conference, Bilbao, Spain, 25-27 March 2011 -
                Call for Papers

  [3]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (49)
        Subject: Visualisation in the Age of Computerisation Conference

  [4]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (30)
        Subject: The Computational Gaze: Session Proposal for SPSP Third
                Biennial Conference

        Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:40:00 +0100
        From: Juan Romero <evomusart at gmail.com>
        Subject: CFP evomusart 2011. Evolutionary and Biologically Inspired Music,Sound, Art and Design

Please distribute
(Apologies for multiple posting)
SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

evomusart 2011

9th European Event on Evolutionary and Biologically Inspired Music, Sound,
Art and Design

Deadline 22 November 2010!!
27-29 April, 2011, Torino, Italy

evomusart 2011:
http://www.evostar.org/call-for-contributions/evoapplications/evomusart/
evo* 2011:    http://www.evostar.org/
CFP in pdf:
http://www.evostar.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/call_evomusart.pdf

INTRODUCTION

The use of biologically inspired techniques for the development of artistic
systems is a recent, exciting and significant area of research. There is a
growing interest in the application of these techniques in fields such as:
visual art and music generation, analysis, and interpretation; sound
synthesis; architecture; video; poetry; design; and other creative tasks.

evomusart 2011 is the ninth european event on Evolutionary Music and Art.
Following the success of previous events and the growth of interest
in the field, the main goal of evomusart 2011 is to bring together
researchers who are using biologically inspired techniques for artistic
tasks, providing the opportunity to promote, present and discuss
ongoing work in the area.

The event will be held from 27-29 April, 2011 in Torino, Italy
as part of the evostar event.

Accepted papers will be presented orally at the event and included
in the evoapplications proceedings, published by Springer Verlag in the
Lecture Notes in Computer Science series.

TOPICS OF INTEREST
The papers should concern the use of biologically inspired techniques -
e.g. Evolutionary Computation, Artificial Life, Artificial Neural Networks,
Swarm Intelligence, etc. - in the scope of the generation, analysis and
interpretation
of art, music, design, architecture and other artistic fields. Topics of
interest include, but are not limited to:

- Generation
    o Biologically Inspired Design and Art - Systems that create drawings,
images,
    animations, sculptures, poetry, text, designs, webpages, buildings,
etc.;
    o Biologically Inspired Sound and Music - Systems that create musical
pieces,
    sounds, instruments, voices, sound effects, sound analysis, etc.;
    o Robotic Based Evolutionary Art and Music;
    o Other related generative techniques;

- Theory
    o Computational Aesthetics, Emotional Response, Surprise, Novelty;
    o Representation techniques;
    o Surveys of the current state-of-the-art in the area; identification
      of weaknesses and strengths; comparative analysis and classification;
    o Validation methodologies;
    o Studies on the applicability of these techniques to related areas;
    o New models designed to promote the creative potential of biologically
      inspired computation;

- Computer Aided Creativity
    o Systems in which biologically inspired computation is used to promote
      the creativity of a human user;
    o New ways of integrating the user in the evolutionary cycle;
    o Analysis and evaluation of: the artistic potential of biologically
      inspired art and music; the artistic processes inherent to these
      approaches; the resulting artifacts;
    o Collaborative distributed artificial art environments;

- Automation
    o Techniques for automatic fitness assignment;
    o Systems in which an analysis or interpretation of the artworks is
      used in conjunction with biologically inspired techniques to produce
      novel objects;
    o Systems that resort to biologically inspired computation to perform
      the analysis of image, music, sound, sculpture, or some other types
      of artistic object;

IMPORTANT DATES
Submission:        22 November 2010
Notification:        7 January 2011
Camera ready:        1 February 2011
Workshop:        27-29 April 2011

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND SUBMISSION DETAILS
Submit your manuscript, at most 10 A4 pages long, in Springer LNCS
format (instructions downloadable from
http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,5-164-2-72376-0,00.html)

no later than November 22, 2010 to site
http://myreview.csregistry.org/evoapps11

The reviewing process will be double-blind, please omit information about
the
authors in the submitted paper.

The papers will be peer reviewed by at least three members of
the program committee. Authors will be notified via email on the
results of the review by January 7, 2011.

The authors of accepted papers will have to improve their paper on the
basis of the reviewers' comments and will be asked to send a camera
ready version of their manuscripts, along with text sources and
pictures, by February 1, 2011. The accepted papers will appear in the
workshop proceedings, published in Springer LNCS Series, which will be
available at the workshop.

Further information, including the Online Submission Details, can be found
on the following pages:

evostar 2011:    http://www.evostar.org/
CFP in pdf:
http://www.evostar.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/call_evomusart.pdf

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

Alain Lioret (Paris 8 University,France)
Alan Dorin (Monash University,Australia)
Alejandro Pazos (University of A Coruna,Spain)
Amilcar Cardoso (University of Coimbra,Portugal)
Amy K. Hoover (University of Central Florida,USA)
Andrew Gildfind (Google, Inc.,Australia)
Andrew Horner (University of Science & Technology,Hong Kong)
Anna Ursyn (University of Northern Colorado,USA)
Antonino Santos (University of A Coruna,Spain)
Artemis Sanchez Moroni (Renato Archer Research Center,Brazil)
Benjamin Schroeder (Ohio State University,USA)
Bill Manaris (College of Charleston,USA)
Brian Ross (Brock University,Canada)
Carla Farsi (University of Colorado,USA)
Carlos Grilo (Instituto Politécnico de Leiria,Portugal)
Christian Jacob  (University of Calgary,Canada)
Colin Johnson (University of Kent,UK)
Craig Kaplan (University of Waterloo,Canada)
Dan Ashlock (University of Guelph,Canada)
Eduardo Miranda (University of Plymouth,UK
Eleonora Bilotta (University of Calabria,Italy)
Erwin Driessens    (Independent Artist, Netherlands)
Gary Greenfield (University of Richmond,USA)
Gary Nelson (Oberlin College,USA)
Gerhard Widmer (Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria)
Hans Dehlinger(Independent Artist,Germany)
James McDermott(University of Limerick,Ireland)
John Collomosse(University of Surrey,UK)
Jon Bird (University of Sussex,UK)
Jon McCormack (Monash University,Australia)
Jorge Tavares (University of Coimbra,Portugal)
José Fornari (NICS/Unicamp,Brazil)
Juan Romero (University of A Coruna,Spain)
Kevin Burns (Mitre Corporation,USA)
Luigi Pagliarini (Pescara Electronic Artists Meeting & University of
Southern Denmark,Italy)
Marcelo Freitas Caetano    (IRCAM, France)
Maria Verstappen (Independent Artist,Netherlands)
Matthew Lewis (Ohio State University,USA)
Mauro Annunziato (Plancton Art Studio,Italy)
Nicolas Monmarché (University of Tours,France)
Oliver Bown (Monash University,Australia)
Pablo Gervás (Universidad Complutense de Madrid,Spain)
Palle Dahlstedt (Göteborg University,Sweden)
Paul Brown (University of Sussex,UK)
Paulo Urbano (Universidade de Lisboa ,Portugal)
Penousal Machado (University of Coimbra,Portugal)
Peter Bentley (University College London ,UK)
Philip Galanter (Texas A&M College of Architecture,USA)
Rafael Ramirez    (Pompeu Fabra University,Spain)
Rodney Waschka II (North Carolina State University,USA)
Ruli Manurung (University of Indonesia,Indonesia)
Scott Draves (Independent Artist,USA)
Simon Colton (Imperial College,UK)
Somnuk Phon-Amnuaisuk (University Tunku Abdul Rahman, Malaysia)
Stefano Cagnoni (University of Parma,Italy)
Stephen Todd (IBM,UK)
Tim Blackwell (Goldsmiths College, University of London,UK)
Vic Ciesielski (RMIT,Australia)
William Latham (Goldsmiths College, University of London,UK)
Yang Li (University of Science and Technology Beijing,China)

WORKSHOP CHAIRS

Juan Romero
University of A Coruna, Spain
jj AT udc DOT es