[Humanist] 24.213 antagonistic cooperation

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jul 22 22:23:40 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 05:58:27 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: antagonistic cooperation

[The following is from Lawrence Alloway, "Design as a human activity",
in This is Tomorrow (London: Whitechapel Art Gallery, August 9 -
September 9 1956): 1. This is Tomorrow was one of the very earliest, if
not the earliest, exhibition to show a connection between computing and
the arts. I pass it on because as we talk about collaboration as a mode
of work in the humanities, especially the digital humanities, I think it
would be wise to consider the experiences of other disciplinary groups,
especially in the arts and in the sciences.]

> ...it would be realistic to replace the ideal picture of
> collaboration (derived from a rosy fiction of the middle ages) by the
> notion of antagonistic cooperation. The patterns of dominance and
> submission, of prestige and intrigue, that attend every human group
> cannot be suspended from the special world of the arts. This factual
> estimate of the changing patterns of human groups precludes ideal
> solutions of permanent validity.

Comments?