[Humanist] 24.188 how sweetly tweet

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jul 12 10:18:52 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:16:22 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: micropoetry

On the subject of a poetics of tweets, or poetry in that medium, I find
PoeticTweet (www.poetictweets.com/), a bot that serves up any tweets
with the right sort of hashtag -- though at the time of writing it found
none; William Shatner reciting Sarah Palin's tweets as poetry
(mashable.com/2009/07/29/shatner-palin-conan/); an article in the
Guardian on poetic tweets that quotes "the kind of 'I went outside and
saw a cat / it was black and white, how lucky is that?' drivel that is
the lingua franca of the Twitterati" but argues, in this vein
optimistically, "that doesn't mean there's no room for anyone else to
carve out a niche market"
(www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/mar/07/books-news-twitter-maya-angelou);
some "almost haiku" (twitter.com/seriouseats/status/9544922177); and so
on among the 295K hits on "poetic tweets". The Poetry Foundation has
taken notice (www.poetryfoundation.org/harriet/2009/02/poetry-tweets/).

Other suggestions, especially of the nondrivelling kind, would be welcome.

But again, what interests me, and seems highly relevant to Humanist, is
the argument that Twitter is deterministic, or restricts the writer to
such a degree that the tendency to write drivel is well-nigh
overwhelming. When confronted with something we don't understand do we
*always* take refuge in the nearest determinism? Prisoners in a dungeon
tapping out messages to each other can say quite a bit that isn't
drivel. But the greatest example of all is Jean-Dominique Bauby's
autobiography, translated as The Diving-Bell & the Butterfly, from which
a fine movie has been made. Mind over/through/in the medium?