[Humanist] 24.179 how sweetly tweet

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jul 9 07:14:59 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                      (18)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.176 how sweetly can you tweet?

  [2]   From:    J C Meister <jan-c-meister at uni-hamburg.de>               (114)
        Subject: a rumination

        Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:48:24 -0400
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>

The "machine" is being spoken of pretty generally here -- there are
many different ways to tweet (email, web interface, text message) --
and language doesn't change very much from medium to medium: the word
"gr8" is only a possible substitute for "great" because they share a
phonetic basis.  Acronyms have been in use for quite a long time.

That being said, a poetics of tweets have already been established,
though perhaps not in great detail.  Typing in all caps is generally
recognized as shouting, while being eloquent and articulate when
making a point communicates condescension.  The rule is that of
informal discourse -- just as we don't expect perfect grammar and
diction in everyday conversations, we don't expect perfect spelling
and punctuation from tweets, IMs, text messages, etc.  And when
someone has to press the same button three or four times to get their
desired letter, we don't blame them for using abbreviations, numbers
in place of letters, or still identifiable misspellings.  They all
work because they are tied to a -phonetic- base, however, that the
machine cannot touch.

Jim R