[Humanist] 24.175 Woruldhord copyright

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jul 6 08:41:15 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:25:06 +0100
        From: Alun Edwards <alun.edwards at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 24.167 Woruldhord: copyright?

Dear John,

Many thanks for your feedback about the launch of the Woruldhord public collection online http://projects.oucs.ox.ac.uk/woruldhord/

RunCoCo (the parent project of Woruldhord based at the University of Oxford) reported the broken link to JISC last week as they were also directing to that 404 page. After their response we thought we had redirected all the RunCoCo and Woruldhord links - but we missed this one - the most important. We really appreciate your attention, and your consideration in reporting it.

When we ran The Great War Archive in 2008, we explained the re-use conditions for the material only after we launched the website with all the material collected from the public http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/gwa/ However there is no reason why we should not explain this now, at the collection stage. Therefore we will add to Woruldhord FAQ and also add to the website and the Woruldhord collection site information about permitted use, like http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/permitteduse.html (from the First World War Poetry Digital Archive).

Woruldhord has been advised by the JISC Strategic Content Alliance (JISC SCA) that Oxford should not distribute material collected from third parties under a Creative Commons licence. When we ran the World War 1 community collection in 2008 we were advised to follow the JISC/HEFCE model licence to distribute online the material from libraries and archives worldwide, and collected from the public. In 2010, as RunCoCo, we prepared to advise other community collections on issues such as copyright. We assumed, like you, that Creative Commons had matured since 2008 and was robust enough to recommend. Naomi Korn of the JISC SCA ran an extremely useful session on copyright, Creative Commons and IPR in May 2010 at a free RunCoCo workshop for community collections. Like you, and like RunCoCo and Woruldhord, the other community collections all wanted to know why they should not release material under a creative commons licence? JISC SCA continues to advise very strongly that we should continue to distribute material collected from third-parties via the JISC Model Licence - this position is explained in a little more detail: http://projects.oucs.ox.ac.uk/runcoco/about/permitteduse.html Woruldhord therefore will not use CC but we do allude to it under the submissions route. As this is a UK project, effectively funded by JISC and HEFCE, Woruldhord should follow their advice and go with their model licences. CC, for example, makes no mention of 'in perpetuity'. The JISC SCA posts much of their advice online as part of a toolkit and on their blog:
http://sca.jiscinvolve.org/wp/files/2009/10/ipr-toolkit-archivist-oct09.pdf
http://sca.jiscinvolve.org/wp/ipr-publications/

NB we distribute under a Creative Commons Licence all material the RunCoCo project writes, this includes reports and audio from the copyright workshop session run by Naomi Korn (to be written-up this summer). We have 2 further free events planned: 'How-to engage with a community' 27 July 2010 at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, and 'How-to sustain community collections', mid-November at the University of Leeds. For booking information please see: http://projects.oucs.ox.ac.uk/runcoco/events/index.html

With best wishes, Ally

Alun Edwards
Manager of RunCoCo | Learning Technologies Group | Oxford University Computing Services | 13 Banbury Road | Oxford OX26NN
E: alun.edwards at oucs.ox.ac.uk
T: +44 (0) 1865 283347