[Humanist] 24.167 Woruldhord: copyright?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jul 3 07:32:41 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 10:32:40 +0100
        From: John Levin <john at anterotesis.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.164 submissions for Project Woruldhord

On 02/07/2010 06:31, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

>          Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 15:02:19 +0100
>          From: Alun Edwards<alun.edwards at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
>          Subject: Project Woruldhord - now open for submissions
>
> Sent on behalf of Dr Stuart Lee:
>
> 	Dear All,
>
> 	I am pleased to announce that Oxford University have now opened the online submission site for Project Woruldhord as of today. This project will try to build up an online collection of material related to Old English and the Anglo-Saxons by voluntary contributions online. Anything submitted will then be made available worldwide, free of charge, for others to reuse (for educational purposes only).

-----

Whilst I wish this project every success, especially as you guarantee
that the material will be made "available for free on the world wide
web", could I please ask that the copyright situation is dealt with more
coherently?

First of all, the link to the Jisc Model license
http://www.jisc-collections.ac.uk/Help-and-information/How-Model-licenses-work/
on this page:
http://projects.oucs.ox.ac.uk/woruldhord/faq/faq.html#copyright
is broken - I'm getting 404 page not found.

Then, the clause "You will allow the material to be used for educational
purposes, e.g. school classes, handouts, lectures, etc" should state
whether educational purposes include publication on the web at a site
other than Oxford's, or just offline educational use. (The problem is
not just if, say, a photograph is published as is on another website,
but if the lecture is recorded, or the presentation slides published, on
a third party website.)

And finally, I suggest encouraging Creative Commons licenses; they're
becoming increasingly well known (for example, Flickr offer options for
publishing under them), and remove many doubts when (re)using material.
http://creativecommons.org/

Obligatory disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Nor do I play one on TV. But I
am an historian, who has to wade through legalese, even for material
that has been in the public domain for hundreds of years.

John

--
John Levin
http://www.anterotesis.com