[Humanist] 24.164 submissions for Project Woruldhord

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jul 2 07:31:55 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 15:02:19 +0100
        From: Alun Edwards <alun.edwards at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
        Subject: Project Woruldhord - now open for submissions

Sent on behalf of Dr Stuart Lee:

	Dear All,

	I am pleased to announce that Oxford University have now opened the online submission site for Project Woruldhord as of today. This project will try to build up an online collection of material related to Old English and the Anglo-Saxons by voluntary contributions online. Anything submitted will then be made available worldwide, free of charge, for others to reuse (for educational purposes only). This follows on from a very successful community collection project we ran at Oxford where we collected together memorabilia from the First World War.

	In short we are trying to collect any material that would be of help to people who wish to find out more about the Anglo-Saxon period of history and the language and literature. We are looking for images, audio/video recordings, handouts, essays, articles, presentations, spreadsheets, databases, and so on. In particular we hope teachers/researchers will contribute teaching material they are happy to share with others. In part I'm trying to investigate whether academics and teachers are willing to share such items, especially if they feel it will be of benefit to the discipline (this project, I hope, will generate renewed interest in the Anglo-Saxons). However, in general terms we'd also be willing to collect such things as:
 * a photograph of an Anglo-Saxon building (e.g. the church at Deerhurst)
 * a photograph of an Anglo-Saxon 'site' or reconstructions (e.g. the buildings at West Stow)
 * a photograph of an Anglo-Saxon artefact (e.g. the Bewcastle Cross)
 * a monograph or article that is now out of print that you hold the rights to
 * a reading list used in teaching
 * a set of slides used in a lecture
 * a handout tackling some specific issue of the discipline
 * translations of texts
 * a workbook of grammar exercises
 * an article on Anglo-Saxon England or Old English
 * a video of a re-enactment from the Anglo-Saxon period
 * an audio recording of some Old English
 * and so on ...

	The most important page to get started is:
	http://poppy.nsms.ox.ac.uk/woruldhord

	This takes you through the simple to use submission process where you can upload your object and provide some basic information about it.

	However other pages you might be interested in are:
	http://projects.oucs.ox.ac.uk/woruldhord/ - the main web site
	http://blogs.oucs.ox.ac.uk/woruldhord/ - the project blog
	http://projects.oucs.ox.ac.uk/woruldhord/faq/index.html - our 'help' section including a 'how to get started guide' and an FAQ
	http://groups.google.com/group/project-woruldhord - a discussion group for the project
	http://runcoco.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ - Woruldhord is an exemplar trialling processes formed by the RunCoCo project

	If you have any questions please email the project at: woruldhord at oucs.ox.ac.uk

	Thanks in advance for anything you send!

	Stuart
	*********************
	Dr Stuart Lee
	Faculty of English, University of Oxford
	Reader in E-learning and Digital Libraries
	HEA National Teaching Fellow
	c/o OUCS, 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN
	E-mail: woruldhord at oucs.ox.ac.uk

Best wishes, Ally

Alun Edwards
Manager of RunCoCo | Learning Technologies Group | Oxford University Computing Services | 13 Banbury Road | Oxford OX26NN
E: runcoco at oucs.ox.ac.uk
W: http://runcoco.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ RunCoCo: how to run a community collection online