[Humanist] 23.324 claiming interdisciplinarity

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Sep 28 07:27:20 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:08:03 -0300
        From: Richard Cunningham <richard.cunningham at acadiau.ca>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.322 claiming interdisciplinarity

Willard,

I'd like to use Sterling Fluharty's thoughtful response to your
invitation to think about interdisciplinarity, Willard, as an
opportunity to enter into the conversation, but with a bit of
trepidation because I fear I'll really simply be venting my
frustration toward a particularly obstreperous colleague.

Sterling asks "Will some digital humanists obtain an additional degree
in computer science and join truly interdisciplinary teams?"  and "At
what point will traditional humanists feel threatened by the new
methodologies and new kinds of knowledge coming out of the best work
in the digital humanities?"

I'm a little envious of those who have not already encountered people
representative of the second question, and am sceptical of the value
implied by the first half of the first question.  Gerry Coulter is
right, I think, in calling attention to "discipline" as it functions
in the development of academic researchers, teachers, scholars.  The
point of any practice is surely to embed it to the level of pseudo-
instinct in her or him who practices, so that she or he will respond
to any situation (new knowledge, in the case of academia) in a manner
that conforms with best practice.  Swerving to avoid an object on the
road, for example, rather than hammering the breaks and causing a pile-
up.  In an academic example, when the English scholar encounters a law
text, she or he reads it in accordance with the way she or he has been
disciplined to read texts.  A lawyer will read the same text in
accordance with her or his disciplinary practice, and the two are
distinct.  Thus, the English scholar who claims to be
interdisciplinary because she or he reads texts usually read within
another discipline is exactly the person Richard Brook suggested needs
to take a long hard look at her- or himself.

I think "join[ing] truly interdisciplinary teams"  is the only
legitimate way to work in an interdisciplinary fashion.  The
discipline into which one's ways of thinking are made to conform will
always trump other ways of thinking about whatever content one
approaches, won't they?  So as a single thoughtful entity I can
approach a problem as a philosopher or as a historian, as an English
scholar or an archivist, etc., but the best an individual will be able
to do is to inform her or his primary mode of thought, primary
discipline, with secondary influences from another.  Surely it will
require a computer scientist to argue forcefully in favour of that
disciplinary perspective in the face of the English scholar's
disciplinary perspective, and vice versa, to produce a result that is
equitably informed by both disciplines.

We ought not fool ourselves into believing that since we have obtained
an additional degree we our now able to split ourselves into two
sufficiently independent entities to produce genuinely
interdisciplinary work.  I think the team, made up of individuals who
swerve instinctively toward the computer science solution rather than
the anthropological solution, etc., is a basic requirement of any work
to be considered interdisciplinary.

Cheers,
Richard

Acadia University