[Humanist] 23.318 recommendations for field laser scanners?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Sep 24 07:24:04 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:11:51 +0100
        From: Dan O'Donnell <daniel.odonnell at ULETH.CA>
        Subject: Field Laser Scanning

Hi all,

For a grant application, I need to submit quotes on field laser
scanning. We need to scan the Bewcastle, Ruthwell, and perhaps Brussels
crosses to a very high degree of detail. Ruthwell is in a church,
Bewcastle exposed in a field, and Brussels in a cathedral treasury.
Ruthwell and Bewcastle are stone and around 15 feet tall; Brussels is
partially gilt, and a couple of feet tall at most. We may use a
different technique on Brussels.

In the past we've used Archaeoptics, but my understanding is that they
are now defunct. We also have had quotes from the CNS in Pisa. Does
anybody have other recommendations? Obviously vendors in the U.K. would
be obvious choices, but our experience is that the travel costs are not
the largest part of the expense and that vendors on the continent can
compete with British vendors quite well.

I greatly appreciate any suggestions!

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)