[Humanist] 23.313 digital hot

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Sep 23 07:00:55 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    robert delius royar <r.royar at morehead-st.edu>             (35)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.311 digital hot

  [2]   From:    Wendell Piez <wapiez at mulberrytech.com>                    (14)

        Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 07:23:00 -0400
        From: robert delius royar <r.royar at morehead-st.edu>

Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:26:18 -0600 Peter Organisciak wrote

> Willard's aside that there is, in fact, no
> such thing as "digital batteries" seems more to be proof of the throwaway
> nature of the word than a slanderous rumination on whether said imaginary
> product would be recognized by the general populace.
>
> (Of course, if there were such a thing, then the awareness that Willard and
> I lack would be telling...)

Perhaps there is or will be.  A Google search for "digital batteries"
turned up the following (among 37,000+ hits):
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2009APS..MARY27013H

Digital Batteries

Hubler, Alfred
American Physical Society, 2009 APS March Meeting, March 16-20, 2009,
abstract #Y27.013

The energy density in conventional capacitors is limited by sparking. We
present nano-capacitor arrays, where - like in laser diodes and quantum
wells [1] - quantization prevents dielectric breakthrough. We show that
the energy density and the power/weight ratio are very high, possibly
larger than in hydrogen [2]. Digital batteries are a potential clean
energy source for cars, laptops, and mobile devices. The technology is
related to flash drives. However, because of the high energy density,
safety is a concern. Digital batteries can be easily and safely charged
and discharged. In the discharged state they pose no danger. Even if a
charged digital battery were to explode, it would produce no radioactive
waste, no long-term radiation, and probably could be designed to produce
no noxious chemicals. We discuss methodologies to prevent shorts and
other measures to make digital batteries safe. [1] H. Higuraskh, A.
Toriumi, F. Yamaguchi, K. Kawamura, A. Hubler, Correlation Tunnel
Device, U. S. Patent No. 5,679,961 (1997) [2] Alfred Hubler,
http://server10.how-why.com/blog/

--
Dr. Robert Delius Royar <r.royar at morehead-st.edu>
Associate Professor of English, Morehead State University