[Humanist] 23.310 digital/hot

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Sep 21 07:51:04 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:15:04 -0500
        From: John Laudun <jlaudun at mac.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.309 "digital" = "hot"?

> folks in this neighbourhood wouldn't have a clue

Really? Really? Have we really come no distance at all in humanistic
work that we still manage to cast dispersions on people we don't even
know? I would have thought that digital humanities, which at its best
opens up possibilities for a larger, more inclusive study of human
meaning-making, would be the first to trample over the usual
stereotypes about working-class this or rural that. I recognize that
the term "digital humanities" is an awkwardly pitched tent that
includes within its flaps not only what was/is humanities computing
but also the various emergences of digital media in humanities
research and communications. For this reason, I would hope that we
would recognize at least the utility, cum expediency, of being
inclusive if not the principled reason for being so. As I continue my
own work into a group of men who invented an amphibious folk boat 25
years ago, I spend a lot of time thinking about tools, their uses, and
their meanings. I had hoped that all these discussions about tools and
prototypes as theories would have opened up our own imaginations to
thinking about how tools create possibilities, offer the possibility
for revising a worldview. It seems, in our own case, that our tools
and our discussions about them have failed us. Our world seems no
larger than it was before.

--
John Laudun
Department of English