[Humanist] 23.292 events: Graduate Student Colloquium

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Sep 12 10:10:30 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:46:29 +0100
        From: "institut at uvic.ca" <institut at uvic.ca>
        Subject: cfp: DHSI 2010 Graduate Student Colloquium

[Updated to clarify eligibility for this conference. Potential presenters
should be enrolled in a PhD or MA program, or hold a post-doctoral
fellowship, at the time of abstract submission. We welcome abstracts from
current students who will graduate before June 2010.]

Digital Humanities Summer Institute 2010
Graduate Student Colloquium
June 8-11, 2010

CALL FOR PAPERS: The DHSI will be sponsoring its second annual graduate
student colloquium in June 2010. Graduate students attending the Institute
are invited to participate in the 2010 colloquium entitled "Making
Connections: Emerging Scholars in the Digital Humanities."

Abstracts are now being accepted for presentations focusing on all aspects
of graduate student research in the digital humanities, including, but not
limited to, the graduate student's role in personal and institutional
research projects, tool application and development, perspectives on
digital humanities implications for their own research and pedagogy, etc.

The colloquium begins on the second day of the Summer Institute and takes
place over four days (Tuesday through Friday) during morning sessions
prior to the start of classes. Three graduate students will present at
each session. Presentations will be informal and strictly limited to ten
(10) minutes per presenter, with time for Q&A reserved at session's end.
The sessions will be open to all DHSI attendees.

We invite 300 word proposals for these presentations. Successful abstracts
for the 2010 colloquium will focus on the individual student's role in
digital humanities research and application, as opposed to general issues
pertaining to digital humanities. Potential presenters should be enrolled
in a PhD or MA program, or hold a post-doctoral fellowship, at the time of
abstract submission. We welcome abstracts from current students who will
graduate before June 2010.

Please send abstracts to <cmleitch at uvic.ca>. Deadline for submissions is
November 27, 2009. All who have submitted an abstract will be notified by
mid-December 2009.

For more information, contact Cara Leitch <cmleitch at uvic.ca> or Diane
Jakacki <dkjakack at uwaterloo.ca>.

ABOUT THE DHSI: The Digital Humanities Summer Institute at the University
of Victoria provides an ideal environment for discussing and learning
about new computing technologies and how they are influencing the work of
those in the Arts, Humanities and Library communities. The institute takes
place across a week of intensive coursework, seminar participation, and
lectures. It brings together faculty, staff, and graduate students from
different areas of the Arts, Humanities, Library and Archives communities
and beyond. During the DHSI, we share ideas and methods, and develop
expertise in applying advanced technologies to our teaching, research,
dissemination and preservation. This year's Summer Institute will be held
June 7-11, 2010. For more information and to register for courses see
www.dhsi.org.

REGISTRATION: In recent years, courses have filled up quickly. We
encourage students interested in attending the DHSI to register early.

SCHOLARSHIPS: All those whose work is accepted for presentation at the
Graduate Student Colloquium will receive a tuition scholarship.