[Humanist] 23.291 usage rights for images?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Sep 12 10:09:55 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 09:35:45 -0400
        From: "Markus Wust" <markus_wust at ncsu.edu>
        Subject: Recording usage rights for images in digital projects

Dear list members,

a project that I am working on (http://ncarchitects.lib.ncsu.edu) is using many images provided to us by third parties (other institutions, private contributors, etc.). I wanted to ask those of you who are (or have been involved) with similar projects about how you are handling the management of rights, i.e., keeping track of who provided the images, any restrictions they have imposed on image usage, etc. What tools are you using (spreadsheets, databases, ...) and are you using any specific encoding standards to records this information (e.g., METSRights)?

Thank you,
Markus Wust
Digital Collections and Preservation Librarian
NCSU Libraries