[Humanist] 23.282 EEBO usage poll

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Sep 10 07:21:04 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:54:17 -0400
        From: "McCollough, Aaron" <amccollo at umich.edu>
        Subject: Usage Poll for EEBO full-text users

Dear Members of the Humanist Discussion Group-

My name is Aaron McCollough, and I am the new Project Outreach Librarian for the Early English Books Online - Text Creation Partnership. I'm writing to ask those of you who have used EEBO's full-text searching tools in your work as a scholar or a student to take a brief online poll.

Since research in the humanities is typically a fairly solitary business, and research methods are often under-discussed, the impact of resources like EEBO-TCP can be a challenge to measure. I'm hoping the poll will offer me (and others) a glimpse of how the tools produced by EEBO-TCP are being used now that the project has reached it's most significant landmark to date (25,000 converted texts).

As EEBO-TCP forges ahead with its second phase (converting the remaining 44,000 unique monographs in the EEBO image collection), I am aiming to build more community around the array of projects currently using TCP texts. I'm also looking for new ways of thinking about the research possibilities opened by an ever-growing database of books.

I've set this poll up through surveymonkey.com, a standard tool for usage and usability studies of all sorts. The questions are simple and open-ended (boxes for name, position, institution, email address, comments on EEBO texts in research, in teaching, in learning, identification of publications or projects that have benefited from EEBO texts, and 'other comments' box). The more specific you can be the better, obviously, but none of the poll's categories is required.

If you'd prefer to answer the questions with a direct email to me, that would also be welcome. (amccollo at umich.edu)

I'm excited to learn what people are working on. I hope you will consider participating.

The survey is located at the following address:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=UscIZ611wnI40iWeziicww_3d_3d

Sincerely-
Aaron
--
Dr. Aaron McCollough
Text Creation Partnership (TCP) Outreach Librarian