[Humanist] 23.268 BBQ and fire

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Sep 5 09:35:35 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:21:15 -0400
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.265 BBQ and fire

I agree with your final paragraph, Wendell, but don't with much of
what leads up to it.  Budgets for the study of humanities are already
in place.  They're being cut, but they're there.  And yes, it's
perfectly legitimate to ask if a professor's work is "worth it."
That's what the tenure review process is for.  An answer of "no" is
sometimes possible and, sometimes, required.  Hiring someone doesn't
mean you're obligated to grant him/her tenure, so it doesn't mean your
obligated to accept every proposal.

Here, as elsewhere, asking for -additional- budget money requires that
the request be justified within the context of the institution's
goals, mission, strengths, etc.  I agree that digital humanities is a
good thing.  That does not mean every single institution needs to
directly fund its development just because someone has an idea.

Jim R

--
James Rovira
Tiffin University