[Humanist] 23.267 events: handwriting & editing; transforming culture

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Sep 4 10:24:30 CEST 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Dot Porter <dot.porter at gmail.com>                         (43)
        Subject: Kzoo 2010: CFP Handwriting Recognition and Collaborative
                Editing

  [2]   From:    Ivo Volt <ivo.volt at UT.EE>                                 (87)
        Subject: Transforming culture in the digital age: CFP

        Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 12:39:04 +0100
        From: Dot Porter <dot.porter at gmail.com>
        Subject: Kzoo 2010: CFP Handwriting Recognition and Collaborative Editing

*FINAL REMINDER, DEADLINE SEPTEMBER 15*

The Digital Medievalist Community of Practice
(http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/) is sponsoring two sessions at the
Forty-Fifth International Congress on Medieval Studies, May 7-10,
2009. See below for session names and descriptions.

Please send inquiries and abstracts for 20-minute presentations to
Peter Robinson at p.m.robinson at bham.ac.uk. Abstracts must be attached
to a Participant Information Form, available in both MS Word and PDF
formats from the Congress website:
http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/submissions/index.html#PIF.

Proposals must be submitted by September 15, 2009.

Paper session: The state of the art in handwriting recognition and
analysis for medieval documents

Much work has been done towards automated analysis of handwritten
documents, with a focus on handwriting recognition, in the last years,
and some of the developments seen in OCR and layout recognition
systems may be applicable to medieval studies.  Further, the
increasing interest in sophisticated linkages of text and image might
be enhanced by developments in handwriting recognition and analysis.
We welcome papers which report on work done or ongoing in these areas,
or which seek to establish methodologies.

Paper session: Collaborative tools and environments for medieval scholarship

Many groups around the world are working to develop a new generation
of collaborative tools and research environments, with potential wide
applicability to medieval studies.  This leads to questions about the
nature of collaboration itself, and about useful models of
collaboration.  Reports form the coal face on collaborations which
have, or have not, worked are welcome, as are demonstrations of tools
and ruminations on the many faces of collaboration.

Again, please send inquiries and abstracts for 20-minute presentations

--
Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)          Metadata Manager
http://dho.ie          Email: dot.porter at gmail.com