[Humanist] 22.559 what if no computing in the humanities?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Feb 24 07:35:25 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:09:20 -0700
        From: Geoffrey Rockwell <geoffrey.rockwell at ualberta.ca>
        Subject: What if there was no computing in the humanities?

Dear Willard and colleagues,

I am reminded every once and a while that many don't know what we do
and are not sure why there needs to be a field like humanities
computing (if there even is one.) That got me trying to articulate the
consequences of our work and asking:

1. What if humanists didn't use computing? What would be different, if
anything? What would we have lost?

2. What if there were no humanists interested in computing and its
applications to the humanities? What would be different? Would anyone
notice?

It seems to me that we should have answers to such questions, even if
we can't say for sure what the outcomes of our research will be over
the long term.

Does anyone care to reassure me with answers?

Yours,

Geoffrey Rockwell