[Humanist] 22.557 getting closer

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Feb 22 09:34:48 CET 2009

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:45:02 +0100 (CET)
        From: Neven Jovanovic <neven.jovanovic at ffzg.hr>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 22.554 getting closer?

Willard,

are you familiar with the work by J. Ignacio Serrano on computational
models of reading? I certainly am not, and I have not seen his name
mentioned on Humanist. He and his team seem to be proposing the network as
an alternative model of what is happening when we read --- not only
vectors (going through the text, accumulating meaning) or scalars (taking
a word as it comes).

Here are some articles of possible interest (to someone with all necessary
subscriptions); the entries can also be found via
http://www.bibsonomy.org/user/filologanoga/digitalHumanities :

J. Ignacio Serrano and M. Dolores del Castillo and A. Iglesias. Dealing
with written language semantics by a connectionist model of cognitive
reading. Neurocomput., (72)4-6:713--725, Elsevier Science Publishers B.
V.,Amsterdam, The Netherlands, The Netherlands,2009.

J.I. Serrano and M.D. del Castillo and A. Iglesias and J. Oliva.
Characterizing prior knowledge-attention relationship by a computational
model of cognitive reading. Neural Networks, 2008. IJCNN 2008. (IEEE World
Congress on Computational Intelligence). IEEE International Joint
Conference on, 881-886, 2008.

J. Ignacio Serrano and M. Dolores del Castillo and Ángel Iglesias.
Characterizing Individual Interest by a Computational Model of Reading.
Advances in Cognitive Neurodynamics ICCN 2007, 539--543, 2008.

J. Serrano and M. del Castillo. Text Representation by a Computational
Model of Reading. Neural Information Processing, 237--246, 2006.
Yours,

Neven

Neven Jovanovic
University of Zagreb