[Humanist] 22.317 bathing in blood? true for E. coli?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 12 08:24:04 CET 2008

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:37:22 -0500
        From: "Joseph Raben" <joeraben at cox.net>
        Subject: Fw: Roman blood baths; quote from Jacques Monod

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Raben
To: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 1:40 PM

I have two queries on which I hope Humanist readers can help me:

1. Does anyone have information on a Roman practice of bathing in blood to achieve longevity? I came across it in a poem by Beaudelaire.

2. Does anyone know the source of the quotation I came across in a book review? The author of the review has not responded to my email.

"The illustrious French cell biologist Jacques Monod summed it up pithily: 'What is true for E. coli is true for the elephant.'

Joe Raben
joeraben at cox.net