[Humanist] 22.309 publication-quality fonts with full Unicode

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 10 07:25:29 CET 2008

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 03:36:38 +0000
        From: Erik Fleischer <erikf at uvic.ca>
        Subject: RE: publication-quality fonts with full Unicode?

Hello Daniel,

Attractiveness should not be the only criterion adopted to select a
suitable typeface for your project -- the actual content of the book and
how it is going to be presented (number of columns, frequency of graphic
elements such as illustrations, etc) should be the starting point. Also,
since different scripts are going to be used, you don't necessarily need
a single typeface. You could, for instance, use Minion Pro for the Roman
and Greek and Adobe Hebrew for the Jewish (in scholarly circles the
script is actually called Jewish, not Hebrew). However, matching
typefaces is a much more complicated matter than it may at first seem:
one needs to consider factors such as style, weight, x-height,
apertures, relative size of bowls and other details that are normally
invisible to the untrained eye.

You should visit Typophile (http://typophile.com) and post your query
there. You'll more than likely receive very good advice from
typographers who, unlike me, have set Hebrew texts.

Best wishes,

Erik