[Humanist] work continues

Willard McCarty willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 14 14:47:00 CEST 2018

Dear members of Humanist,

Work on the metempsychosis of Humanist is ongoing at the King's Digital
Lab (https://www.kdl.kcl.ac.uk/) as the days of northern hemispheric
Summer (southern Winter, equitorial Dry Season) run out and Autumn
(Spring, the Build Up) approaches. Meanwhile I leave you with Kaja
Silverman's comment on how William Henry Fox Talbot and other keen
viewers of mid 19C photographs (in The Miracle of Analogy, p. 27) took
what they saw:

> Surprisingly, these early viewers and practitioners did not rush to
> resolve the discrepancies between what they saw and what the camera
> showed by establishing one as the truth and the other as an illusion.
> Neither did they conclude that sensory perception is duplicitous, or
> take epistemological shelter within the domain of mental
> representations. They understood that their look and the photographic
> image opened onto the same world —their world.

Opened differently!

Willard McCarty (www.mccarty.org.uk/), Professor emeritus, Department of
Digital Humanities, King's College London; Adjunct Professor, Western
Sydney University; Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews
(www.tandfonline.com/loi/yisr20)