[Humanist] 31.771 surveys, ideology, infrastructure, service

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Apr 14 09:55:09 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 09:06:29 +0100
        From: Colin Greenstreet <colin.greenstreet at googlemail.com>
        Subject: Re:  31.768 surveys, ideology, infrastructure, service

I feel strongly that resources should be created from the community and by
the community. Some of the most imaginative digital tools I have seen have
been created by hobbyists with deep content knowledge and strong technical
skills, who are embedded in a user community. There are some good examples
of community sourced archaeological maps.

I also feel that there is too much money, not too little, available for
tech tool and environment development. In addition there is too little
attention to standard development from knowledgeable users up. The
development and rapid spread of IIIF standards is a powerful exception.
Core to IIIF success seems to me that it is embedded in GLAMs and spans
North America and Europe. Another good example of user driven tool
development is work by the Pelagios Commons on Recogito as a semantic
annotation platform.

My own projects MarineLives and Maphackathon are driven from the user. We
are now experimenting with the creation of a new technology enabled
community for the study of historical literacy, Signs of Literacy. We are
technologically agnostic and are surveying and reaching out to multiple
technology and process ecosystems, including but not limited to IIIF,
Transkribus and Pelagios,  whilst pursuing an agenda of applying pattern
recognition and machine learning to studying markes, initials and
signatures. We are taking eight months, prior to any grant writing our
search for funding or contributions in kind, to assemble our user community
combining content and technical experts. We will be focussed on the end
goal of research insight rather than tool development for its own sake.

That's the plan. Easier said than done!

Best regards

Colin Greenstreet
Co-director, MarineLives; co-producer, Maphackathon; community organiser,
Signs of Literacy;  founder, Chronoscopic education
Http://chronoscopic.org

On 13 Apr 2018 08:15, "Humanist Discussion Group" <