[Humanist] 31.765 surveys, ideology, infrastructure, service

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Apr 12 09:18:58 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 08:33:49 +0200
        From: Manfred Thaller <manfred.thaller at uni-koeln.de>
        Subject: Re:  31.761 surveys, ideology, infrastructure, service

Dear Joris,

well - I do understand your concern, very well so.

But I am afraid, you ask the wrong question.

It presupposes a knowledge of what the Digital Humanities actually are.
And my experience has been that whensoever anybody raises that question,
the immediate reaction of at least one person in the audience, usually
applauded by a significant fraction, is that the "Digital Humanities are
not about defining, but about doing". This of course carries the
convenient implication that, whatsoever the speaker is doing, IS part of
the Digital Humanities. Or, possibly, not part, but the essence of it.

As long as this is so, you cannot react intellectually to the pure
political wish to create reasons, why you should be funded for waving
the flag.

Resignedly yours,
Manfred

[...]