[Humanist] 31.761 surveys, ideology, infrastructure, service

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Apr 11 09:50:33 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 09:07:55 +0000
        From: Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl>
        Subject: Re:  31.756 survey: trust in DH, confidence in services and infrastructures

Dear all,

To "strengthen the sustainability of digital humanities" is to "increase
confidence in DH services and infrastructures". I think that is rich, and
an ideological push in an unhelpful direction.

I guess those of you who know me, will not be surprised that the invitation
in Humanist 31.576 raises at least my eyebrows. I would like to invite the
opinion of the DH community (in so far at least as represented by Humanist)
on this one. I feel there are quite a lot of surveys lately, so I feel a
little weary about them anyway and wonder how representative they are in
all.

But especially the matter with this invitation is aggravated in that DH yet
again is strongly equated with infrastructure and service (and DARIAH it
seems). All of which I think may very well be part of DH, but far from in
some ≣ manner. (That's a formal logic sign for 'strictly equivalent to', if
you were wondering.)

Obviously everybody should be free to make up his own mind about
participating in a survey. But my question: wouldn't it be better to
actively oppose such strongly ideologically colored surveys?

All best
--Joris

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 at 09:58, Humanist Discussion Group <