[Humanist] 31.739 reading Joyce's Ulysses with help

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Apr 2 10:42:38 CEST 2018

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 21:20:28 -0400 (EDT)
        From: lachance at chass.utoronto.ca
        Subject: Critical Apparatus and Networked Resources

Willard,

Found myself wondering about the future of the critical apparatus in a
networked world with access to supportive resources. These thoughts were
sparked by an article in Saturday's Globe & Mail by John Semley "Reading
ulysses? YouTube might help"

The author takes on the reading of the novel some years after an initial
foray and makes abundant use of resources available online.

<quote>
I referred time and agin to a fairly detailed Wikipedia entry. I
downloaded a Great Courses lecture series dedicated to Ulysses and even
picked up a copy of Homer's The Odyssey (Penguin's Robert Fagles
translation, worth it for Bernard Knox's introduction and notes alone),
after which Joyce's Ulysses was famously modelled. Chapter by chapter,
lecture by lecture, I carefully staked through Joyce's bustling Dublin,
making thorough use of online guides, essays, reviews, YouTube videos and
other newfangled tools that might have made me feel like a fraud when I
was an undergrad. A few dozen pages in and Ulysses started to feel less
daunting. Somewhere along the line, I even began enjoying myself.
</quote>

Food for thought.

--
Francois Lachance