[Humanist] 31.328 pubs: open science; digital in humanities & social sciences cfp

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Sep 29 05:50:54 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Tom Brughmans <tom.brughmans at yahoo.com>                   (13)
        Subject: Open science in archaeology: paper and special interest
                group

  [2]   From:    Bridget Almas <balmas at GMAIL.COM>                           (5)
        Subject: Reminder: contribute to the first editions of Humanités
                numériques

        Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 08:39:55 +0000 (UTC)
        From: Tom Brughmans <tom.brughmans at yahoo.com>
        Subject: Open science in archaeology: paper and special interest group

A recent paper, published in the SAA Archaeological Record by Ben Marwick and supported by a large group of archaeologists, argues for a transparant open science model in archaeology: data stewardship instead of data ownership, transparency in the analysis process instead of secrecy, and public involvement instead of exclusion. To stimulate the development of open science in archaeology a new special interest group at the Society for American Archaeologists was created.
Interested in open science in archaeology? Get involved! Read the paper, check out the special interest group wiki, attend the events, subscribe to the mailing list.

More info on the special interest group wiki: https://osf.io/2dfhz/
The paper: https://www.academia.edu/34696309/Open_Science_in_Archaeology

Paper abstract:
In archaeology, we are accustomed to investing great effort into collecting data from fieldwork, museum collections, and other sources, followed by detailed description, rigorous analysis, and in many cases ending with publication of our findings in short, highly concentrated reports or journal articles. Very often, these publications are all that is visible of this lengthy process, and even then, most of our journal articles are only accessible to scholars at institutions paying subscription fees to the journal publishers. While this traditional model of the archaeological research process has long been effective at generating new knowledge about our past, it is increasingly at odds with current norms of practice in other sciences. Often described as ‘open science’, these new norms include data stewardship instead of data ownership, transparency in the analysis process instead of secrecy, and public involvement instead of exclusion. While the concept of open science is not new in archaeology (e.g., see Lake 2012 and other papers in that volume), a less transparent model often prevails, unfortunately. We believe that there is much to be gained, both for individual researchers and for the discipline, from broader application of open science practices. In this article, we very briefly describe these practices and their benefits to researchers. We introduce the Society for American Archaeology’s Open Science Interest Group (OSIG) as a community to help archaeologists engage in and benefit from open science practices, and describe how it will facilitate the adoption of open science in archaeology.

Tom Brughmans
School of Archaeology
University of Oxford
Secretary of CAA International