[Humanist] 31.319 pubs: on curiosity-driven research

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Sep 25 16:34:17 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 07:24:01 -0700
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: curiosity

As someone who has written about curiosity (in
A New Companion to Digital Humanities, ed. Schreibman, Siemens and
Unsworth), I was delighted to find Jon Agar's recent
Wilkins-Bernal-Medawar lecture, "The curious history of curiosity-driven
research", published by the Royal Society and available online at
http://rsnr.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2017/09/14/rsnr.2017.0034.
Some here will know Agar's excellent and essential The Government
Machine (2003) and other writings on our machine. It is good to have
intellectual friends in the history of science.

Read it tonight!

Willard McCarty (www.mccarty.org.uk/), Professor emeritus, Department of
Digital Humanities, King's College London; Adjunct Professor, Western
Sydney University and North Carolina State University; Editor,