[Humanist] 31.315 Lidio Presutti 1956-2017

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Sep 22 00:29:59 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:17:56 -0800
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: Lidio Presutti

News of the death of Lidio Presutti has just reached me via an old
colleague at Toronto, Mike Stairs. I have no other information on
Lidio's passing except that it was unexpected. See
https://obittree.com/obituary/ca/ontario/woodbridge/fratelli-vescio-funeral-homes-ltd/lidio-presutti/3152185/ for the obituary.

I knew Lidio while a graduate student at Toronto, when he and my London
colleague John Bradley were working together at the university computing
centre. Lidio later moved to the Information Commons in the Robarts
Library, becoming Director of it. I remember Lidio as the one who
taught me by his extraordinary patience what a conversation between
scholar and programmer could do for both. I would say what I wanted, he
would then rephrase in operational terms, I would have to clarify both
my thoughts and my words, he would then ask if what I meant was this or
that, and so on and so forth. Conversation with him became my exemplar
in thinking about the internal dialogue between the scholarly mind and
the programmer's mind that, I'd suggest, is a primary educational goal.

I can only imagine that he will be greatly missed by the many he helped,
and because of his example by many others who never met him. Thank
you Lidio!

Willard McCarty (www.mccarty.org.uk/), Professor emeritus, Department of
Digital Humanities, King's College London; Adjunct Professor, Western
Sydney University and North Carolina State University; Editor,