[Humanist] 31.304 postdoc (Maynooth)
Humanist Discussion Group
willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Sep 14 20:50:39 CEST 2017
Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 31, No. 304.
Department of Digital Humanities, King's College London
Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 09:15:55 +0000
From: Jeneen Naji <jeneen.naji at mu.ie>
Subject: mobile app visualisation post doc vacancy
34 month Post-Doctoral Researcher (Mobile App Visualisation) Maynooth University, Ireland
Closing Date: Monday, September 25, 2017
The Postdoctoral Researcher will contribute as part of an interdisciplinary team to the SFI-funded Building City Dashboards project, undertaking fundamental and applied research on creating effective city dashboards.
The researcher will work on Work Package 2.2 Investigating scalar issues in visualisation.�At present, most city dashboards are optimized to function best on a standard display screen. They will display on a smartphone or tablet, but in a way that is suboptimal in terms of legibility and coherence. This task will investigate scalar issues in how data are effectively visualised across different media and to use the resultant information to develop appropriate methods for delivering dashboard content on mobile devices (the key platforms through which people access city information on the move). The method will consist of building and iteratively user testing and developing mobile apps for the Dublin Dashboard. The outputs will be specific apps for citizens to use, but also a design guide for app developers producing city-focused apps.
The successful applicant will be expected to work effectively as part of a team, maintain active liaison with stakeholders and collaborators, make a significant contribution to the dissemination of project outputs (incl. workshops, publications, web site, etc.), contribute to the development of PhD students participating in the project.
This postdoc will provide high level input into researching and developing the multimodal dashboard interfaces/installations. They will have strong visualisation and project management skills as well as experience working in app development. They will work within a team on Visualisation and multi-modal interaction problems.
● Undertake fundamental and applied research on the scalar issues in visualisation
● Liaison with project stakeholders and collaborators
● Contribute to:
o Research publications and other aspects of research dissemination
o Maintenance of project web site and social media
o Intellectual development of PhD students
The ideal candidate will have:
● PhD in a relevant discipline (or close to completion)
● Fundamental knowledge of and skills relevant to the questions being addressed
● Experience with multiplatform visualisation
● Ability to effectively disseminate the findings of the project
● An ability to work well in a multidisciplinary team
● Understanding of and aptitude for mobile development
● A track record of working with open source tools
● An ability to play an effective role in securing further funding
● An already established track record in publications and organising workshops
● A commitment to open science, open data and open source software
● A willingness to communicate project work through social media
● Experience of working with mobile app design and development
Dr Jeneen Naji
Digital Practice Coordinator & Lecturer
Department of Media Studies, Maynooth University, Ireland
Instagram @jeneennaji Twitter @mean_neen
More information about the Humanist