[Humanist] 31.293 on modelling and mathematics in the humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Sep 10 17:02:45 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 10:42:29 -0500
        From: Paul Fishwick <metaphorz at gmail.com>
        Subject: On Modeling and Mathematics in Interpreting Humanities Creative Products

Two recents posts. Critiques welcome

https://medium.com/creative-automata/modeling-the-activity-that-shapes-us-70867b2d21a4

https://medium.com/creative-automata/how-mathematics-is-redefining-the-humanities-f603805d6938

Some of this has been on our airwaves for a while — such as some of us are glad to discuss modeling,
and we have been debating the role of mathematics in the humanities. I think the humanities provides
a better way of learning mathematics, at least potentially.

-paul

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Distinguished University Chair of Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication
Professor of Computer Science
Director, Creative Automata Laboratory
The University of Texas at Dallas
Arts & Technology