[Humanist] 31.395 HP archives destroyed

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 31 09:13:40 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 14:32:23 -0700
        From: Brian Berg <brianberg at gmail.com>
        Subject: HP Archives Destroyed in Recent California Fires

A very sad story here:
 http://www.pressdemocrat.com/business/7559762-181/hewlett-
packard-archives-at-keysight-destroyed

Chuck House responded to me re: this sad news with:

Sad on many fronts

1.       Ironic, since HP was almost alone in Silicon Valley for hiring a
curator thirty years ago to preserve its history

2.       Ironic, that the curator (and subsequent ones) would not let
historians or others have access to this tremendous history

3.       Ironic, that HP is one of the digital electronics pioneers which
offered a way to digitize this collection at any point in the last twenty
years

4.       Ironic, that a company so big, with such history, would have no
sense of the value of what had been accumulated

5.       Ironic, that the Computer History Museum here in town, never
tried to get this archive

Great lessons here

I knew that Chuck had been involved with helping to scan and archive
Cisco's history.  When I pinged him about that, he wrote me re: his small
treatise on this topic:
 Preserving our Digital Revolution Heritage: If not you, who?  If not now,
when?
 http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/charles-house/digital-revolution-heritage/paperback/product-22378873.html

_________________________
Brian A. Berg / bberg at StanfordAlumni.org
Berg Software Design
14500 Big Basin Way, Suite F, Saratoga, CA 95070 USA
Voice: 408.741.5010 / Cell: 408.568.2505
Consulting: Flash Memory/USB/Storage/Patents
visit the Storage Cornucopia: www.bswd.com
FMS Technical Chair: www.FlashMemorySummit.com
IEEE Milestone
 http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Milestones:List_of_IEEE_Milestones
Coordinator for Region 6  http://www.ieee-region6.org/
IEEE SCV Section  http://www.ewh.ieee.org/r6/scv/  Past Chair / IEEE-CNSV
 http://www.CaliforniaConsultants.org  Board Director
IEEE Silicon Valley Tech History Committee
 http://www.SiliconValleyHistory.com/  Chair