[Humanist] 31.393 events: history and philosophy of programming

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Oct 29 07:41:59 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 12:57:05 +0000
        From: Tomas Petricek <info at tomasp.net>
        Subject: CFP: Symposium on the History and Philosophy of Programming

Fourth Symposium on the History and Philosophy of Programming
https://www.shift-society.org/hapop4/

In a society where computers have become ubiquitous, it is necessary to develop a deeper understanding of the nature of computer programs, not just from the technical viewpoint, but from a broader historical and philosophical perspective. A historical awareness of the evolution of programming not only helps to clarify the complex structure of computing, but it also provides an insight in what programming was, is and could be in the future. Philosophy, on the other hand, helps to tackle fundamental questions about the nature of programs, programming languages and programming as a discipline.

HaPoP 2018 is the fourth edition of the Symposium on the History and Philosophy of Programming, organised by HaPoC, Commission on the History and Philosophy of Computing. As in the previous editions, we are convinced that an interdisciplinary approach is necessary for understanding programming with its multifaceted nature. As such, we welcome participation by researchers and practitioners coming from a diversity of backgrounds, including historians, philosophers, computer scientists and professional software developers.

In addition to submissions in a wide range of areas traditional for HaPoP (outlined below), we especially welcome submissions that explore the nature of scientific progress with respect to computer programming as a discipline. We are interested in investigations concerning the methodology of computer programming, whether it follows a form of scientific method that allows it to increase its problem solving ability, whether its development more is akin to science, engineering or rather art, and what examples from the history of programming can be provided to support either argument.

I'm co-chairing the symposium with Prof. Ursula Martin, so if you have any questions regarding suitability of a topic, format of the extended abstract, or anything else, please contact one of us. The best way to contact me is to email tomas at tomasp.net.

Thanks,
Tomas Petricek