[Humanist] 31.387 Donnchadh O' Corrain

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 26 08:00:31 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 06:44:55 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: Donnchadh Ó Corrain

Professor Donnchadh O' Corráin, the great medieval Irish historian, died
yesterday. Once a proper obituary is available I will circulate it here.

Donnchadh understood very early that the Web offered a means of wide
access to the source materials for scholarly work and that such access
would prove key to the long-term health of important but minority
subjects. With support from a donor, in 1991 he founded CURIA (Cork
University / Royal Irish Academy)'s Thesaurus Linguarum Hiberniae, in
response to which Peter Flynn, at University College Cork, established
the first Web server in Ireland for it and the ninth in the world, three
months after the World Wide Web itself went online. Donnchadh went
on to establish CELT, the Corpus of Electronic Texts (https://celt.ucc.ie).

For more see my "Risky, experimental, emergent: the timeliness and
genius of CURIA and CELT", in the Festschrift for Donnchadh, Clerics,
kings and vikings (Four Courts Press, 2015),
http://www.fourcourtspress.ie/books/2015/clerics-kings-and-vikings/. The
Table of Contents for this volume will give you a good idea of how
widely and deeply respected he was and how much he will be missed.

Willard McCarty (www.mccarty.org.uk/), Professor emeritus, Department of
Digital Humanities, King's College London; Adjunct Professor, Western
Sydney University and North Carolina State University; Editor,