[Humanist] 31.377 maps and networks?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Oct 23 08:23:16 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 16:07:24 -0500
        From: Paul Fishwick <metaphorz at gmail.com>
        Subject: mind maps/concept maps/semantic networks in the humanities?

I noted Mike Cosgrave’s response on the “sustained reading from screen” thread, and was curious about:

Mindmapping
Concept Maps
Semantic Networks

that humanist scholars and their students use. If you do use these can you specify how, and using
what package (if any)? Exploring this practice seems a good way to bridge concepts
in computer science to the humanities. Last year, I was intrigued to find out that Art History AP material in some
US high schools use a “concept map” although this concept map is different than Novak’s
map. The Art History map places an art work at the center and surrounds this work with arrows pointing
to inquiries surrounding the work.

-paul

> On Oct 22, 2017, at 1:51 AM, Humanist Discussion Group <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk> wrote:
>
>                 Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 31, No. 375.
>

>        Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 09:57:35 +0000
>        From: "Cosgrave, Mike" <M.Cosgrave at ucc.ie>
>        Subject: Re:  31.371 sustained reading from screen?
>

> I do 99.9% of my reading and work on mobile devices now (but I do still buy well made physical books; art, or poetry, or cookbooks)
>
> I use the MacBook about once a week; and only for certain specific things which I can't do on my iPad (Printing from OpenOffice, manipulating course assets on Blackboard)
>
> If something is worth reading for work, its worth annotating, and tools like iAnnotate or Liquid Text are simply much better for highlighting, annotating and reusing text than paper.
>
> If I'm reading for pleasure, its simply more convenient. (and in that I think I would now include listening to podcasts while I drive to and from college.)
>
> In practically every course I teach, I require students to submit an annotated pdf of a course reading, as well as mindmapping articles. My colleague Donna Alexander does the full spectrum from physical annotation of poetry, to digital (using hypothes.is) in her classes - we count these as all part of the active reading process
>
> I do point out to my students that this is the result of many years of playing with tech toys, from the Newton to the Clie to the iPad culminating in having a teaching room where I can mirror my tablets (iOs and Android) to the main screen wirelessly; technology which I use daily to oppress my students.  My own children read mainly on screen, but do buy and read physical books - my feeling is that most of my students still read more on paper than on screen though.

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Distinguished University Chair of Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication
Professor of Computer Science
Director, Creative Automata Laboratory
The University of Texas at Dallas
Arts & Technology